Friday, 14 January 2011
Baking Friday - Fairy Cakes
Today was Scarlett's first crack at baking. After initial reluctance to don an apron, she soon got into it! We made up a mixing song to help us along. Obviously it was very tiring work, as Scarlett went for a nap while the cakes were in the oven. Mummy iced them as lunch was much more interesting!
Eating and cooking are a huge part of our family life. Growing up with a French mum, 3 hour lunches at the weekend and on holiday were the norm! So far Scarlett has a good interest in all kinds of food, and (at the moment) will try anything. We will be baking every Friday and will share our recipes with you.
Fairy Cake Recipe
2 eggs, lightly beaten
125g self-raising flour
2 tbsp milk
- Beat butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy
- Add beaten egg a little at a time
- Sift in half flour and fold into mixture
- Add milk, vanilla extract and rest of flour and fold until well combined(we also added a drop of natural food colouring, though this didn't show up much when cooked!)
- Bake for 12 minutes in oven, gas mark 4/180
We made icing using recipe on back of icing sugar packet! Though you could also make butter cream icing, which is very yummy.
For a bit of variety I like coloured icing, just add a couple of drops of natural food colouring. We used chocolate and strawberry curls to decorate, bought from the supermarket.
Very easy and fun to make!